Monday, September 12, 2011

A new motivation and plan to go with it.

It's funny how I can hit a plateau and stay there for a long time. Of course, I would rather just consistently lose weight, but it's probably good because it lets me know I can maintain what I've lost. But I've cracked the most recent long-time plateau and my weight is on it's way down!
The motivation was a boy. My motivation almost always starts that way, and it's unintentional. I just get too distracted to eat much, and end up losing a few pounds, and then those twitterpations make me feel so light that I go skipping around as if I'm prancing among the clouds, and before I know what is happening, I've lost twenty pounds. If only it always happened that easily, right? But a good jump-start is all I need to motivate me to lose more, although usually it ends after too short a time. But I think it's usually because I don't have a plan to keep it going. This time is different.
The boy decided not to stick around (with no explanation either, the coward), but instead of mourning the possibility of something good and turning to the much-loved comfort food that seems to enfold me in unconditional love (AKA fat), I've chosen to be grateful for the situation and the way it played out. The height of the twitterpation landed on the first two days of school, when I was simultaneously forced to park at the top of a giant set of stairs. The light feeling of excitement transformed the mountain of stairs in 100+ evil degree heat to an ant hill, up which I bounded like a gazelle. Okay, that may be a lie. I had to take a break near the top and drink some water to replace the fluids in my body that were rapidly vacating through the pores in my forehead. But when, on the second day of school, I once more parked in that hilltop lot out of necessity, I was sort of excited at the prospect of a natural work-out. I mean seriously... the gym is boring and I never go by myself, which means I never go at all. I would much rather incorporate exercise into my daily life, and these 138 stairs seemed like a perfect way to do it. I am at school three times a week, and no matter which parking lot I choose, I have to walk sorta far to class. Adding the stairs just boosts the walk and makes it more of a challenge. And I feel better after doing it! I've lost fifteen pounds in the last month, and although the original motivation is gone, there is a new motivation and a plan to keep it in place!
If you care at all, please ask me throughout this semester if I am still taking the stairs. I need the accountability. And I'm sure I'll be excited to brag about my gluts of steel!
And let me encourage those of you needing it... find a way to incorporate some natural exercise into your daily life! It's so much easier than carving out time for the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment